Skip to main content

a delicate balance

i'll say it: i missing my spam. since i started writing posts about things i found in my spam filter, it seems that i rarely get anything truly amusing anymore. most days, i'm just rescuing stuff that shouldn't have been snagged or skipping over boring emails that don't even have any hilariously inappropriate typos. what's a girl to do?

fortunately, i still have my spam filter at work, which doesn't see much action, but does occasionally yield a little gem like this:



Hello ha ndsome! I'm i n yovr hovse. I am fvnny a nd well-ba la nced. My photos here.

yes, that's exactly how it appears, with the exception that i put it in italics. there is a link to a site that apparently deals with mixed martial arts, which is even more perplexing. 
i guess i should find it disturbing that someone i don't know is sending me emails telling me he's in my house, but hey, he sounds friendly- no one ever tells me i'm handsome- and he says quite clearly that he's well-balanced, even stretching it out to emphasize how important it is that i understand this. so i'm sure there's nothing i need be worried about.

that said, sending people anonymous messages telling them that you're in their house is not a marketing tactic i've heard of and probably with good reason. and one could argue that following that with an assurance that you're "well-balanced" might actually cause someone to think the exact opposite. so, golfer2@gmail.com, you might want to rethink your advertising campaign.

of course, i suspect golfer2 might have flunked out of the mba program, since he's also been spotted trying to garner interest by telling people "i'm in your region. i am graceful." also "Nice t0 meet y0u ma te. I a m next t0 y0u. I a m g00dl00king. See my pics." i'm unclear on why a person would need pictures to evaluate whether someone next to them was good-looking or not. especially if i'd already met them. of course, if i hadn't met them, i'd be a little curious as to how they'd gotten my email address.

i guess i'm just a very suspicious person by nature.


Comments

Bellyhead said…
I'm going to look at your archive on Spam now! I get such a kick out of my spam email. My blog email doesn't get much except offers of money from Barclay bank, but my personal email gets all sorts of funny ones, mostly Christian dating, Jewish dating, and erection medicines. How do they know me so well?
Kate MacDonald said…
Just click the email spam tag at the end and behold the wonders of my junk filter (sorry if that sounds nasty).
Bellyhead said…
junk junk junk in your trunk?

as long as you're here, why not read more?

long suffering

i've been meaning to write this post for a while, but, every time i get started, something happens that makes me rethink portions of it, to add or subtract or consider a different way of looking at things. the post was originally going to be my take on a #metoo statement, but i ended up making that post on my personal facebook page. [it's not that i don't love you all, but there are a few things i'm not comfortable putting in the entirely public sphere.] but beyond joining the #metoo juggernaut, i wanted to write something about the wave of sexual assault revelations that continues to swell over the north american media landscape that wasn't about me. then i realised that that was a little more complicated than just writing "so, lotta sex rapes happenin' these days, ain't there?" or whatever it was that i was going to say.

so i tried writing something about just a part of it: the media coverage or the entertainment industry or the politicians or …

jihadvertising?

i keep seeing this ad for tictac candies:



am i the only one who finds the suicide bomber clown at the end a little unnerving? all the nice natural things like the bunny and the [extinct] woolly mammoth and the fruit get devoured by a trying-to-appear-nonthreatening-but-obviously-psychotic clown who then blows himself up. congratulations, tictac, i think this ad has landed you on about a dozen watch lists.

oh and by the way, showing me that your product will somehow cause my stomach to explode in a rainbow of wtf makes me believe that doing consuming tictacs would be a worse dietary decision than the time i ate two raw eggs and a half a bottle of hot sauce on a dare.

making faces :: getting cheeky

blush might just be the last thing that a beauty lover comes to appreciate, seeing as it can be a matter of slight degrees that separates one product from another, and it's most difficult to tell from just swatching a product how it's going to look. and it did take me a long time to appreciate that, despite loving my refined pallor and believing that my natural rosy flush was more than enough of a blush for me, blush is my friend. it softens, sculpts, perfects and, although you might not see it at first blush [yuk yuk yuk], it is something that subtly harmonises with the other colours in a look to make it "complete". yes, it's the most tricky thing to pull off when you're wearing something that doesn't mesh with your own undertones. but it's also the thing that can take a face from gloomy to glowing with a swish of the magic wand known as a makeup brush.

highlighters are an even trickier lot, since many of the more brilliant ones have a tendency to e…