Skip to main content

making faces :: makeup on the metro

"i was in a hurry"
i wouldn't say that i'm not a morning person. there are few things that give me a sense of peace like watching the sun come up at the end of the night. for that matter, waking up early and lazily enjoying my coffee as i sift through my emails, read or watch the news and get some cat love is hard to match. but what i'm not good at is getting up early and then doing something right away. i am a woman of pacing and process. i need to do things at my own speed and in a certain order and when the clock is ticking, well... it doesn't always work out.

so last week, i set myself a little challenge: i wanted to see if i could leave unadorned and give myself a decent quick makeup look on public transit on the way to work. because if i know i can do that, i know that there are that many more minutes that i can spend with coffee and cats before i have to face the outside world.

the key here is simplicity. and mirrors. i wanted colours that could be easily blended with the applicators i carry with me for touch-ups. [note: i have a little pill case in my makeup bag. i'm gradually stuffing all those little applicators that are used to jack up the prices of eyeshadow. they might as well be used for something.] also, things that came with their own mirrors were highly valuable, because it meant not having to choose between awkwardly juggling a couple of things at a time and applying blind.

time was also key, of course. traveling to work, there was no guarantee that i'd be able to get a seat at first, so i had to be prepared to get everything presentable in five minutes or less.

BEHOLD THE RESULTS...



i did give myself a bit of a head start, applying my liquid products- sunscreen, tinted moisturiser and concealer- before i left. everything else was to be done in transit. here's what i picked:

nars paramaribo e/s duo :: the two shades are different enough that they create a bit of a gradient, but they're close enough that they meld into one another without any serious blending required.

edward bess south of france quad royale :: not only is this a great highlighter for cheeks, but it doubled as a highlight along my brow bone and in the inner corners of my eyes. i keep this in my makeup bag at all times, because it's just so damn useful. although i didn't intend to, i'm very glad i ended up getting two.

benefit bella bamba boxed blush :: yeesh. say that five times fast. it's small, which is great, comes with a little mirror, which is greater and has its own blush, which is the greatest. it's also a wonderful coral-pink shade that gives a nice pop of colour.

for the lips, i used mac's lustering. applying lipstick on the go is no great feat, but i do love the way this semi-sheer watermelon pink- one of mac's best, in my opinion- contrasts with the earthy shadows.

for some reason, although i do have a couple of mini samples that i tout around with me in case of emergency, i found myself without mascara. that never happens. so for the first time in years, i went without anything on my eyelashes. it was interesting, because the shadows combined for a very soft, smoky effect in my office lighting and the fact that my lashes were naked seemed to emphasise the softness. [my lashes are very blonde on their own.]

here are a couple of pictures of dubious quality. i had to snap them with my phone, because taking the big camera with me to work was just not an option. it was extraordinarily windy when i snapped these, which is my excuse for the hair.


bottom line? not my favourite look, but it's certainly something that i'd be comfortable doing again. which means that the next time i'm feeling particularly sloth-like in the morning, i know it's a corner i can cut.

Comments

as long as you're here, why not read more?

long suffering

i've been meaning to write this post for a while, but, every time i get started, something happens that makes me rethink portions of it, to add or subtract or consider a different way of looking at things. the post was originally going to be my take on a #metoo statement, but i ended up making that post on my personal facebook page. [it's not that i don't love you all, but there are a few things i'm not comfortable putting in the entirely public sphere.] but beyond joining the #metoo juggernaut, i wanted to write something about the wave of sexual assault revelations that continues to swell over the north american media landscape that wasn't about me. then i realised that that was a little more complicated than just writing "so, lotta sex rapes happenin' these days, ain't there?" or whatever it was that i was going to say.

so i tried writing something about just a part of it: the media coverage or the entertainment industry or the politicians or …

jihadvertising?

i keep seeing this ad for tictac candies:



am i the only one who finds the suicide bomber clown at the end a little unnerving? all the nice natural things like the bunny and the [extinct] woolly mammoth and the fruit get devoured by a trying-to-appear-nonthreatening-but-obviously-psychotic clown who then blows himself up. congratulations, tictac, i think this ad has landed you on about a dozen watch lists.

oh and by the way, showing me that your product will somehow cause my stomach to explode in a rainbow of wtf makes me believe that doing consuming tictacs would be a worse dietary decision than the time i ate two raw eggs and a half a bottle of hot sauce on a dare.

making faces :: a lip for all seasons [summer edition]

this may seem like an odd time to think about summer, but not to think about coolness. it can be hard to wrap your head around the idea that summer is considered "cool" in colour analysis terms and, in my opinion, reads as the coolest of the cool, because everything in it is touched with the same chilly grey. winter may have the coldest colours, but its palette is so vivid that it distracts the eye. everything in summer is fresh and misty, like the morning sky before the sun breaks through. in my original post on the season, i compared it to monet's paintings of waterlilies at his garden in giverny and, if i do say so, i think that's an apt characterisation.

finding lip colours touched with summer grey and blue is, as you might expect, kind of tricky. the cosmetic world seems obsessed with bringing warmth, which doesn't recognise that some complexions don't support it well. [also, different complexions support different kinds of warmth, but that's another…