Skip to main content

five reasons the world is happy i don't have kids


i fail to see the problem
i'm consistently surprised that people keep asking me if/ when i'm planning on having children. me planning to have children strikes me as an idea equivalent to planting explosives around a nuclear power plant to see what happens. here's why:


1. i'm incredibly self-centred. have you read this blog? i talk about virtually nothing but myself and there's a reason for that. with a very few exceptions, i don't really even think of other people as human. not a great start as far as maternal instincts go.

2. the cats really dictate most things in my life. anyone seeking refuge from nightmares in the middle of the night will have to negotiate with them for space on the bed. they get to kiss me as often as they like, which means that the immune systems of anyone who comes near me had better be state of the art. no excuses for being young and developing.

OH THERE'S MORE...



3. i'm really forgetful. i mean, i really loved my iphone 3gs and used it constantly. i couldn't shut up about how much i loved the phone. but i had a few drinks with dom and nat one night and dropped it in the back of a cab, thinking i was putting it back in my purse. and that's what i do when things that are useful to me. imagine where i'd leave a kid.


4. i already let the cats drink, because i think it's hilarious. and i can't even get the cats drunk. can you imagine the kind of things i'd get up to if i were given a small human with no natural tolerance for alcohol? i can. i imagine it often. and that's not a good thing for anybody.


5. i have really bad insomnia. that might work out fine in the first few months when the baby and i could scream at each other at all hours of the night, quickly driving dom into either voluntary deafness or insanity, but i think that it might get problematic when mummy thinks it would be awesome to watch movies at two in the morning on a school night.


there are lots more reasons, but i think that this is really a solid base for my argument that i should never, ever be encouraged to propagate. now go about your day and be happy that you will never have to deal with my drug-addled, cat saliva-coated, sleep-deprived spawn.

well chances are one of them will come out ok

Comments

Martin Rouge said…
Darling, I have stopped trying to justify why I don't want kids a long time ago, especially since that the one comment that keeps coming back is "oh, you'll change when you get them." Oh hell no I wont change, because I'm a selfish bastard that can barely take care of myself and I will not put myself in a position where I have to deal with a brood. I don't deal with other people's offsprings because they piss me right he hell off, why would I jump at the opportunity to get my very own bag of diarrhea and wasted college funds. Never, ever, ever.
flora_mundi said…
In this case, it's not so much justifying as reminding people that there are folks who just have no business having kids- and that there is something noble about realising you're one of those people.

I don't ask for much by way of recognition. A parade and a large cheque should suffice.

as long as you're here, why not read more?

write brain

i was talking to a friend of mine about coffee, specifically about our mutual need for coffee, yesterday and, literally as i was in the middle of a thought, an idea occurred to me that i felt like i had to note. so there i am, scribbling a note to myself that was really just a word salad of related terms, which i later transformed into a weird but more comprehensible note that i could refer to later. [i don't want another beatriz coca situation on my hands.] i feel like this idea isn't a story on its own, but something that i could incorporate into a larger project, which is good, because i have a few of those.

now, of course, i need to sit down and do research on this, because it's become terribly important to me that the details of this weird little idea that i'm planning on incorporating into a larger thing be totally plausible, even though no one but me is ever going to care. i'm increasingly convinced that the goal of every writer is to find someone who will t…

presidenting is hard :: these people are not your friends

hello mr. president! a while back, i promised that i would periodically be giving you some advice on how to do your job, since you seem a little unclear on how everything works. i didn't mean to go so long between missives, but the fact is that i've been busy and you're administration has been in overdrive giving me things to write about. what i've realised is that many of those things are ones i can't help you with: if you or anyone in your immediate circle worked with russians to compromise the 2016 election, that shit is done. robert mueller is going to find that out, because he's the kind of person who looks like the theme from dragnet just automatically starts playing every time he enters a room. so that's your problem. i'm just here to talk to you about what you can do now that you are, by law, the president. because, while chief detective mueller is doing his thing, we all need to live with your decisions. i'm even less happy about that than…

making faces :: women's rites

the magic of the internet, specifically the magic of instagram, recently brought me in contact with rituelle de fille, a new brand [launched in 2014] and completely new to me, although some of their products have apparently received plaudits from the media. their branding reminds me very much of the early years of illamasqua: a well-edited collection of colour products [there are no base or complexion products as of yet, except blush] with an emphasis on including shades that are daring and unexpected. 

i picked up three products, which are offered individually or as a set, as the "fleur sauvage" collection, inspired by "lush overgrowth, the deadly allure of carnivorous plants, and the strange chromatic language whispered between flowers and pollinators". there is no price difference between buying the items separately or individually, it's just a matter of selected partnering [and i believe all three products were launched together in spring 2015]. there are tw…