Skip to main content

let me tell you about my backside

as i mentioned in my previous post, where i linked back to an older, unrelated post, i recently purchased a new chair. i received said chair this morning and giddily went about assembling it [with dom's help]. it's not an ├╝ber-deluxe, space-aged thing, but it's a distinct improvement on what was here before. [although technically, wouldn't anything built in about the last half century qualify as space aged? we've been up there for a while.]

i'd put the question to the internet of what should be done to the old chair and quickly found out that

  1. my friends are pyromaniacs
  2. a lot of my friends want to get me arrested

the truth is far more banal: i carried it out and threw it on the curb, where it will be carted away by experts tomorrow. although, since it's so clearly an evil, person-hating chair, it will probably rise from the dump and victimise a new home office. i don't care. that's their problem and i have a new throne from which to pontificate.

my first thought was that this will help me write, because it will no longer be as uncomfortable for me to sit at my desk for hours at a stretch. my second thought, of course, was that i'd just taken away one of my main excuses for not being able to write more. which is probably why i've been sitting here for an hour or so thinking that i could write, but focusing more on why i feel different in this new chair. i have back support. the seat cushion does seem to have been designed with human buttocks in mind. i don't have to clench my abdominal muscles to avoid falling over. [that last one is probably bad news, since clenching my abdominal muscles on my uncomfortable chair was really the closest i've come to working out in a long time.

i am still going to have to find a little footstool to keep my legs at the proper angle, because no one thinks about #shortgirlproblems when they're designing desks. i'm also haunted by the idea that my armrests are ever so slightly different heights, which leads into the much scarier idea that my arms are slightly different, which makes me want to immediately run away and try on every one of my long-sleeved tops to see if there's a problem, which would be useless because the nature of fabric would likely disguise it anyway.

nothing is ever perfect. if it were, i'd probably be too busy trying to find problems with it to notice.

of course, all this thinking about the chair that's supposed to make it easier for me to write, during the one hour in which i've been able to sit at the desk and relax in such a way that might actually be conducive to writing means that i haven't actually gotten any writing done. at all. except this, which really shouldn't count, because it's just me ranting stream-of-consciousness style at you, the reader who deserves more and is wondering why you're still reading this.

i'm sorry. i have nothing for you. i'm not even talking about my butt, which i basically promised i would in the title. it's fine, though. it's a little early to say that everything is feeling better, but i can assure that i feel my posterior is much better balanced. so perhaps proper butt-balance is what's been holding my career back from stratospheric heights all these years. i'll get back to you on that, i promise.

for those of you who are participating in national novel writing month, or who plan on writing about something that isn't your backside this november, i found this article, which is pretty much the best non-advice advice i've come across, even if it doesn't mention butt-balance.

Comments

as long as you're here, why not read more?

jihadvertising?

i keep seeing this ad for tictac candies:



am i the only one who finds the suicide bomber clown at the end a little unnerving? all the nice natural things like the bunny and the [extinct] woolly mammoth and the fruit get devoured by a trying-to-appear-nonthreatening-but-obviously-psychotic clown who then blows himself up. congratulations, tictac, i think this ad has landed you on about a dozen watch lists.

oh and by the way, showing me that your product will somehow cause my stomach to explode in a rainbow of wtf makes me believe that doing consuming tictacs would be a worse dietary decision than the time i ate two raw eggs and a half a bottle of hot sauce on a dare.

making faces :: chanel's velvet realm

who doesn't love velvet? i know when i was younger, i used to, as george costanza longed to, "drape myself in velvet" and although that phase passed with time, i still think that the plush fabric has to be one of the high points of human achievement, up there with interior heating, advanced medicine and vodka. so to me, it's no surprise that one of the most hotly anticipated launches in the cosmetic world is chanel's new "rouge allure velvet" lipstick line, because even the name immediately makes me want to put it on my lips.

on a more concrete level, chanel describes these lipsticks as "luminous matte", which is sort of like the holy grail for lipstick lovers. we all want those intense, come-hither film noir lips, the sort where young men and sunlight are lost and never heard from again, but historically [including during the making of those films], applying a matte lipstick felt sort of like colouring in your lips with an old crayon that had…

making faces :: getting cheeky

blush might just be the last thing that a beauty lover comes to appreciate, seeing as it can be a matter of slight degrees that separates one product from another, and it's most difficult to tell from just swatching a product how it's going to look. and it did take me a long time to appreciate that, despite loving my refined pallor and believing that my natural rosy flush was more than enough of a blush for me, blush is my friend. it softens, sculpts, perfects and, although you might not see it at first blush [yuk yuk yuk], it is something that subtly harmonises with the other colours in a look to make it "complete". yes, it's the most tricky thing to pull off when you're wearing something that doesn't mesh with your own undertones. but it's also the thing that can take a face from gloomy to glowing with a swish of the magic wand known as a makeup brush.

highlighters are an even trickier lot, since many of the more brilliant ones have a tendency to e…