Skip to main content

the significant haircut, or the post where i finally give into the allure of #tbt

the reason that i've never participated in throwback thursdays is because i don't actually have any older pictures of myself in digital format. i'd scanned some a while back, but those were lost to the great computer crash of 2013 [which is what lead to the great disenchantment]. so my records only go as far back as the time that i've had a digital camera and a lot of that history has been recorded on the blog already.

however, a trend is not well and truly dead until i've finally gotten around to trying it, so i figured that i might as well drive a nail in this one. [i'm still sitting on an ello invitation, in case you're wondering.]

so my throw-back photo is coming to you from all the way back in 2005 and was taken the day that i got the significant haircut. of course, i'd had lots of haircuts before- i was already in my thirties- and some of them were more drastic than this- however this was the only haircut to ever change my perspective about how i could look. it was shorter than i'd gone in several years and included a fringe of bangs, which was an idea i'd been playing with for a while, but the real change was that my hairdresser chose to part my hair on the opposite side of where i'd always done it. until that day, i'd always thought that parts were immobile and cast in stone. after all, other hairdressers had always asked me where i parted my amorphous cloud of locks, which clearly indicated to me that there was a rule that they had to follow. why would they ask if it could just be moved around? but no, apparently while your hair has a tendency to fall a certain way, the method in which it's cut does a lot to determine which way that is.

as it turned out, the significant haircut made me realise that i'd been doing myself a disservice by parting my hair on the right for over three decades, because doing so inevitably showed the highest point of my extremely high forehead and therefore made it look like i was going a bit bald. going against that appears much more balanced.

since that day, i have never parted my hair on the right side and i have always kept my hair shoulder length or above; and i have never felt better about how i look. [even though that green eyeshadow isn't doing me any favours and i took the photo almost as soon as i got in, so you can still see the effects of the late fall chill on my cheeks and nose.]

i even did a little blog post about the significant haircut the day that i got it, although its significance hadn't totally sunk in at that point.

Comments

as long as you're here, why not read more?

jihadvertising?

i keep seeing this ad for tictac candies:



am i the only one who finds the suicide bomber clown at the end a little unnerving? all the nice natural things like the bunny and the [extinct] woolly mammoth and the fruit get devoured by a trying-to-appear-nonthreatening-but-obviously-psychotic clown who then blows himself up. congratulations, tictac, i think this ad has landed you on about a dozen watch lists.

oh and by the way, showing me that your product will somehow cause my stomach to explode in a rainbow of wtf makes me believe that doing consuming tictacs would be a worse dietary decision than the time i ate two raw eggs and a half a bottle of hot sauce on a dare.

mental health mondays :: pop quiz

those of you who are friends of mine on facebook [that might look a little weird to those of you seeing this post on facebook] may have seen my weekly "sunday quiz time", where i just ask random questions in the name of stimulating conversation. after doing that this week, i ended up taking a very wide variety of quizzes on mental floss, which made me a little smug about my knowledge of geography and a little rattled about my knowledge of the finer points of grammar. [i want to say, in my defense, that the one grammar quiz i found was really f**king hard. is that last sentence grammatically correct? i don't know. i have no confidence in my grammar anymore.]

i got so into answering questions about just about anything that i thought it might be fun to apply that format to mental health mondays. i've already done links to quizzes about various mental disorders and how to tell if you have them [i think it turned out i had all of them], but i wanted to do a special set of…

"friday" favourites 26.11.11

this week's friday favourites was inspired by a post by the lovely elven eyes [and, yes, i did almost type that as "eleven eyes", which wouldn't be nearly so lovely... although it would be memorable]. she did a post earlier this week inviting other beauty bloggers among her followers to talk about some of their other favourite things.

since i'm a follower [and, if you're interested in things beauty-related, you should be too], i wanted to give it a go, but i realised as i started that this was really something that was meant for other bloggers, who are able to write blogs on a single subject, because they have a sense of focus, which i obviously do not. after all, i blog about anything that happens to creep into my brainspace- makeup, politics, writing, stuff that annoys me, my cats... heck, i'll blog about blogging if nothing else occurs to me. and once a week, i dedicate one post solely to talking about things that have made me happy, so it's not li…