Skip to main content

how the stm added insult to injury [literally]

edit :: i can't believe i forgot to mention this earlier, but yesterday on the bus ride to work the same bus driver who yelled at me for having the audacity to run in the direction of his bus made a wrong turn and completely departed his appointed route. he stopped the bus and apologised, but it still took between five and ten minutes for him to go around the block and get us back on course. no one yelled at him for screwing up and making us all late.

let me help you feel better about your morning. did you get yelled at for getting injured today? chances are you didn't unless you are 1.a child, in which case you really shouldn't be reading this blog; or 2. me.

this morning, there was a slow down on the metro line. it's never fun when this happens during rush hour, but it does happen and i'd resigned myself to the fact that i was going to miss my bus connection and be late for work. of course, when i got to the station where i make my transfer, there was the bus, running one minute late, with its door still open.

huzzah!

so i exited the metro and ran the ten feet to the door, which closed just as i arrived. i'm not entirely sure the driver saw me, so we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't just being a dick.

he started to pull away and i ran along side him for about another ten feet, at which point i slipped on the ice and landed in a heap on my knee and hands in front of horrified onlookers who had to help me get up. the bus did stop and when i was back on my feet and approached the door, the bus driver screamed at me, loud enough to be heard through the closed door: "lady, you can't run for the bus like that!!"

then he took off.

i went to speak to another employee, who was civil, but told me i shouldn't have run for the metro.

mea culpa. that was my bad.

let's ignore the fact that i ran a very short distance and that the door to the bus was open when i exited the metro doors. and let's ignore the fact that i was only late because the metro itself was delayed. and let's ignore the fact that i fell on ice because an area where people line up to get on public transit had a build-up of ice because it hadn't been properly salted. running for the bus is bad and i shouldn't have done it.

my issue is not that i missed my bus, or that i fell, as unpleasant as those things were. my issue is that the bus driver stopped and waited for me to approach, wounded and then yelled at me before taking off. like that was an important part of his schedule.

and my issue is that when i told another employee that i wanted to make a complaint about that treatment [aside from repeatedly telling me that i shouldn't have run for the bus, which i readily admitted was true] was to tell me that the bus driver "is a good guy" and that he'd "have a talk with him".

that's the complaints procedure, apparently.

aside from the fact that there is no documentation of this, i take issue with the insistence that the bus driver is such a good guy. good guys don't take time out of their day [when they're running late already] to yell at injured people, even if those injured people could be blamed for what happened to them. that's not good at all.

i appreciate the fact that the stm is committed to making sure that their workers are not abused or insulted by their passengers, because i've seen some pretty hideous behaviour directed towards public transit employees and i agree that that is inexcusable. it's just important for the stm to remember that they're driving on a two way street.

Comments

as long as you're here, why not read more?

jihadvertising?

i keep seeing this ad for tictac candies:



am i the only one who finds the suicide bomber clown at the end a little unnerving? all the nice natural things like the bunny and the [extinct] woolly mammoth and the fruit get devoured by a trying-to-appear-nonthreatening-but-obviously-psychotic clown who then blows himself up. congratulations, tictac, i think this ad has landed you on about a dozen watch lists.

oh and by the way, showing me that your product will somehow cause my stomach to explode in a rainbow of wtf makes me believe that doing consuming tictacs would be a worse dietary decision than the time i ate two raw eggs and a half a bottle of hot sauce on a dare.

making faces :: women's rites

the magic of the internet, specifically the magic of instagram, recently brought me in contact with rituelle de fille, a new brand [launched in 2014] and completely new to me, although some of their products have apparently received plaudits from the media. their branding reminds me very much of the early years of illamasqua: a well-edited collection of colour products [there are no base or complexion products as of yet, except blush] with an emphasis on including shades that are daring and unexpected. 

i picked up three products, which are offered individually or as a set, as the "fleur sauvage" collection, inspired by "lush overgrowth, the deadly allure of carnivorous plants, and the strange chromatic language whispered between flowers and pollinators". there is no price difference between buying the items separately or individually, it's just a matter of selected partnering [and i believe all three products were launched together in spring 2015]. there are tw…

eat the pain away?

nearly twenty years ago, an emergency room doctor took a look at the crushing muscle tension i was experiencing [they were clenched enough that a doctor at my regular clinic couldn't get a reflex reaction on my left side and thought i might be having a stroke] and told me she believed that i had fibromyalgia. a couple of weeks later, i went to see a family doctor that a coworker had recommended to me. when i told him what the other doctor had said, he snapped that i was being ridiculous, because, if i'd had fibromyalgia, "i wouldn't be able to move". after i moved to toronto, i got a new family doctor and told her what the other doctors had said. she said that she couldn't be sure, but it was better just to deal with any symptoms i had one at a time. then i came back to montreal and got a new family doctor, who didn't really buy into the whole idea of fibromyalgia and said there was no way to do any definitive test anyway. that doctor passed away, and my …