26 November 2011

"friday" favourites 26.11.11

this week's friday favourites was inspired by a post by the lovely elven eyes [and, yes, i did almost type that as "eleven eyes", which wouldn't be nearly so lovely... although it would be memorable]. she did a post earlier this week inviting other beauty bloggers among her followers to talk about some of their other favourite things.

since i'm a follower [and, if you're interested in things beauty-related, you should be too], i wanted to give it a go, but i realised as i started that this was really something that was meant for other bloggers, who are able to write blogs on a single subject, because they have a sense of focus, which i obviously do not. after all, i blog about anything that happens to creep into my brainspace- makeup, politics, writing, stuff that annoys me, my cats... heck, i'll blog about blogging if nothing else occurs to me. and once a week, i dedicate one post solely to talking about things that have made me happy, so it's not like i generally keep any big secrets [that you know of].

nonetheless, i kind of felt like sharing, so i've decided to make this week's "friday favourites" a little different- for instance, it's actually saturday, which already makes it different- by sharing some odd and formative information about myself. i don't know that i could call any of these things "favourite" parts of my past or personality, but they all contribute to who i am today. and of all the people i've been, this person is my favourite.

in completely random order...

to me, this is like waterboarding
1. i have a paralysing fear of balloons. this wasn't always the case, although i never loved them, but a slight aversion as a child has grown into a bizarre phobia as an adult. i detest the scent of rubber to start with, but the fear really comes from the knowledge that balloons can pop and make a loud noise. i have always been high strung and startle easily and sharp, loud noises are almost unbearable for me. [sustained loud noises, on the other hand, are quite welcome.] every balloon i see is a potential heart attack in waiting and i get so stressed that i can't concentrate on anything else.

2. like a lot of artistic types, i struggled in phys ed class as a child. it wasn't that i didn't enjoy some activity, but i had virtually no stamina. my body would just stop at some point and i didn't know why. as an adult, my one experience with a personal trainer was with someone who didn't believe that and who insisted i try running up and down the stairs to get my blood pumping. i passed out and fell down the stairs, injuring both myself and the personal trainer. when i was thirty-five, it was discovered that i have a mild form of asthma, triggered chiefly when i exercise or get sick [i cannot shake coughs]. the reason my body would give out is because, under exertion, i was no longer able to get air into my lungs.

CAN YOU HANDLE KNOWING MORE ABOUT ME? IF YOU KEEP READING, THERE'S A KITTEH AT THE END...



3. as a little girl, i wanted to be marlene dietrich when i grew up. i even told a room full of people of this aspiration, much to the confusion of a lot of six year olds who wanted to be superman or the emperor of the world and who had no idea who marlene dietrich was.

4. i wrote by first "book" a 12-chapter, 13-page opus called "chestnut's life" about a horse named chestnut, when i was five years old. my mother took the story to the magazine where she worked, typed it and bound it for me, although sadly, it has been lost over the years. from that moment on, i wanted to write.

5. i am fascinated by silent movies. while i can't say carte blanche that i prefer them to movies with sound, i am continuously amazed at what directors and actors could accomplish without it. i consider it a completely different art form that talking films.

my early career plan
6. i can remember every phone number i've ever had in my life. before the advent of mobile phones and smart phones, which can store numbers, i would commit any phone number i had to call often to memory and they stayed there, even international ones. unless someone did it for me, i never wrote down a phone number. people i worked with at one point nicknamed me the "human phone book". since i've started programming numbers into my phone, i rarely remember them, because i rarely notice them.

7. i have had an inexplicable fascination with greenland for the last several years and even dream about it sometimes. when i was a child [after my marlene dietrich phase] i had the same sort of preoccupation with new guinea. i wanted to move there and become their leader. [and i was too young to realise the colonial implications of that aim.]

8. a family member of mine died shortly before i was born as the result of a mental disorder and the air of mystery and discomfort surrounding her illness and death made me fascinated with issues of mental health from a young age.

9. the moment in my life that gave me the greatest sense of confidence and satisfaction with something i had done was filming the climactic scene of "conversion". i sincerely hope that the film is picked up for distribution sooner rather than later, as i'd like to know if others feel that is justified.

10. although no one knows how it happened, my right front tooth is dead- the nerve is calcified almost all the way up. there is a small abscess inside the tooth which dentists insist should be causing me constant pain, but i don't feel a thing. the only outward sign that there is anything wrong is that the tooth is slightly discoloured compared to its neighbours. because of the discolouration, i rarely smile showing my teeth in photographs.

i dream of greenland
11. i cannot wink with my right eye, raise my right eyebrow on its own or curl the right side of my lip. in fact, it is difficult for me to control any muscles on the right side of my face and my right eyelid droops a little, always appearing a little more closed than its partner. several doctors have been concerned that this is the result of a minor stroke, but as far as anyone can tell, it is just a physical anomaly.

12. until i was in my thirties, i almost never wrote anything that was based on my personal experience. on the night before my thirtieth birthday, i forced myself to write something about myself as a test and since then, i have mixed in personal experiences in virtually everything that i write. strangely, my style of writing has not changed significantly.

13. i am prone to bouts of laughter that i can't stop. i will laugh myself to tears, almost to the point where i can't breathe, sometimes over nothing. this appears to be genetic, as my mother, her sister and their mother all had the same "problem". in fact, i'm also a terrible instigator of this kind of thing at family get-togethers.

of course, it wouldn't be friday favourites, even on a saturday, without me bidding you adieu with a kitteh photo... and yes, i have always, always been an ailurophile. this week, i thought we were due for another simon close up. in truth, i could probably do weekly simon photos for a long time, because the second he even suspects a camera has been turned on, he is there. this means that he's more than obliging about having his picture taken and, in fact, even likes getting close up, so you can really see those gorgeous eyes.


4 comments:

ElvenEyes said...

I think this is a fabulous response to my tag and you really picked up the essence that we are complicated and multi-layered beings who just happen to also be drawn to makeup! Love the phone number thing! How cool is that?!! xo

flora_mundi said...

Thanks for coming up with the idea! I actually miss being able to commit numbers to memory like that. It was a sort of freakish ability that could get me some cheap attention, in lieu of having some actual skill.

ahoythere said...

I ALSO WAS CALLED THE HUMAN PHONE BOOK!!!!!! Not only would I commit every number relevant to my own life to memory, but was often called to duty at parties when my friends needed phone numbers remembered for them. I discovered later that part of this "talent" was due to the fact that I saw all numbers in color, and then later discovered that in itself was a whole other "talent" (or disorder) called synesthesia. I was very stoked to find out that I had a colorful malady that was also incredibly useful. But I do really miss the days before cell phones when I could actually put my skillz to use on a regular basis. But I won't give up hope just yet.....perhaps there is some magical number code job out there for us that just hasn't been thought of........

flora_mundi said...

You just made my day!!! I also see number in colour (in fact I see letters in colour as well). I had no idea this was something that had a name. And I think anyone who would call it a disorder is just jealous. Harumph!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...