Skip to main content

thank you

i spend a lot of time here talking about things that trouble me, or that i flat out don't like. so every now and then, it's good to take a moment and doff the cap of appreciation towards someone who truly deserves it.

a couple of months back, i lost my preciouss iphone in the back of a cab. it was my own fault, 100%. i make no excuses. i wasn't as careful as i should have been and i paid the price. searches for the phone turned up nothing. i tried calling it, but i'd left it on vibrate, which i almost always do, so there was little chance it could be heard by anyone close by. this was bad enough, but there followed a more than month-long saga while i tried to get said phone replaced. i didn't plan on losing my phone the week the iphone 4 came out. i didn't even particularly want the new model, because i was perfeectly happy with what i had. i did end up, finally, getting the new model, because rogers simply couldn't find a 3gs that they were willing to sell me. (apple had one that they were willing to sell me, but rogers wouldn't let them.)

but i'm getting diverted into negativity. today, for the first time in a long while, i checked my email on line rather than just loading it onto my computer. i noticed that there was something in the draft folder. figuring that anything i had left there as a draft would have grown virtual cobwebs by now, i opened it to delete it. but it wasn't anything i'd put there. it was a message, typed into the subject line of an unsent email fom the night i lost my phone, that told me the person typing it had my iphone and was going to try to track me down through rogers. there wasn't a way to contact them (i have to say, i'd be iffy about giving someone my contact info when i didn't even know who they were), but the very last words were strangely touching : "don't worry, i will track you down. please be happy."

the day after i lost my phone, i had rogers remotely shut it off, thus severing any possible link between my good samaritan and myself.

of course, i wasn't happy, not for a long time, because i was a month without a device that brings me a lot of convenience. the fact that i literally had to call rogers every day in order to remain at the front of the queue grated on my nerves. the fact that i had to threaten to leave in order to avoid paying full price for a replacement phone was infuriating. and let's not even get into the joys of paying for a cellular phone line when you have no phone. or that wonderful feeling of seeing everyone around you playing with their toys why you feel like the orphan at christmas. and i'd no idea during this whole time that there was someone who'd tried to do a good and totally unexpected thing for me.

it may not have worked out, but that's someone who deserves a thank you and here goes:

hi there person who found my iphone and left a message in my email account while trying to figure out who i was. i appreciate the fact that you tried to contact me. i also appreciate that during the time that you had my live phone, there were no long distance calls made, none of my emails were disturbed and i did not receive a huge bill for downloading hours of music or video. you could have done a lot of selish things, even within the twelve hours before i had the phone shut off, but you chose to use your wits and to try to get a hold of me and you were even polite enough to not start calling my friends in the middle of the night (since that's when i lost it). that makes you a really cool person in my books and i want to say thank you. i also want to say that the world could use more people like you. i hope that you are doing well, wherever you are and whatever you might be doing. thanks.

Comments

as long as you're here, why not read more?

write brain

i was talking to a friend of mine about coffee, specifically about our mutual need for coffee, yesterday and, literally as i was in the middle of a thought, an idea occurred to me that i felt like i had to note. so there i am, scribbling a note to myself that was really just a word salad of related terms, which i later transformed into a weird but more comprehensible note that i could refer to later. [i don't want another beatriz coca situation on my hands.] i feel like this idea isn't a story on its own, but something that i could incorporate into a larger project, which is good, because i have a few of those.

now, of course, i need to sit down and do research on this, because it's become terribly important to me that the details of this weird little idea that i'm planning on incorporating into a larger thing be totally plausible, even though no one but me is ever going to care. i'm increasingly convinced that the goal of every writer is to find someone who will t…

presidenting is hard :: these people are not your friends

hello mr. president! a while back, i promised that i would periodically be giving you some advice on how to do your job, since you seem a little unclear on how everything works. i didn't mean to go so long between missives, but the fact is that i've been busy and you're administration has been in overdrive giving me things to write about. what i've realised is that many of those things are ones i can't help you with: if you or anyone in your immediate circle worked with russians to compromise the 2016 election, that shit is done. robert mueller is going to find that out, because he's the kind of person who looks like the theme from dragnet just automatically starts playing every time he enters a room. so that's your problem. i'm just here to talk to you about what you can do now that you are, by law, the president. because, while chief detective mueller is doing his thing, we all need to live with your decisions. i'm even less happy about that than…

dream vacation

i've written about this before, but i have an odd tendency to travel in my sleep. i don't mean that i roll around  and shift positions a lot [although that was a problem in my childhood], but rather that i take these strange vacations in other places that do actually exist, for no particular reason. i would love to travel more, like most people i know, but in my dreams, i seem to pick places that wouldn't normally occur to me. [like greenland, which was actually green when i dreamt about it, and the volcanoes between chile and antarctica that i swear i didn't know about before i dreamt them, but which really do exist.]

for instance, a couple of nights ago, i dreamt that dom and i had gone on vacation to jerusalem, more specifically east jerusalem, also known as  the palestinian section, and also where a lot of palestinian homes get bulldozed. it's walled off from the west, israeli, part of the city, although the two are connected by a light rail line and a lot of h…