25 April 2010

ok, so now what's wrong with me?

a few weeks ago, i sprained my ankle. despite the fact that i wear big girl heels a lot of the time and had been out the night before wearing one of my most skyscraper-like talons, i managed to sprain my ankle walking in bare feet on the wood floor of my bedroom. i don't even know what happened, but all of a sudden my ankle was perpendicular to my tibia and i felt a shot of pain.

in retrospect, it might have been better if i had felt a lot of pain, because, when that initial shot subsided, i went merrily about my way assuming i'd just clumsily turned my ankle, as i am wont to do and there was nothing more to it. in fact, i was dj'ing that night, so i went out, did my dj set, danced to the other sets, strolled down to chinatown to get a late night/ early morning snack (well, a little more than a snack, actually) and, the next morning, was sort of astonished to see that my right ankle looked like i'd stored a baseball inside it. it was sort of nice and round and firm and about double the size of its neighbour. nothing a shoe whore hates to see more than that.

so it was a week of flats and limited walking (and i am not only a fan of heels but long, long walks and yes, by the way, i can combine them), as well as keeping the injured soldier elevated and iced whenever possible. the ankle never really started to hurt. i have pain if i cross my legs "indian style" (there's probably a pc term for that, but i never learned it) and if i put pressure on it (more than usual) by standing up, but it's not what you'd call debilitating. i can make it hurt by poking it, but even then, it's not much and i have to poke pretty hard (because i didn't come off as strange enough anyway).

i allowed myself to go back to normal after a week or so, but i noticed this weekend that the ankle still seems sprained. it is still swollen, not as much as originally, but noticeably, a medium-sized lump in front of the ankle bone. it hurts less, but it does still hurt and i'm mystified as to why. yes, i've gone back to heels (not every day, by any means) and walking, but it's not like i didn't give it time to heal. so why is it still bothering me and, more frustratingly, why is it still swollen?

the easy answer would be to go to a clinic and talk to a doctor, but i've already spent far too many hours this year in hospitals, clinics and doctors' offices. so that means that i'm open to any hare-brained theories that come from the internet. hit me with your best shot...

2 comments:

dfm said...

Having witnessed the aforementionned "accident", I can't really say that there is anything wrong with you. Sprains can come and go. Just when you think you're healed, they'll come back and f-up your day.

Stuart Gardner said...

This isn't meant to be funny and it certainly isn't meant to scare you; it's simply honest advice. Don't look at the podiatrist's needle if you require a shot.
I do hope you've recovered soon, Kate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...