19 July 2008

when nature attacks


i got my official wildlife welcome from the city of montreal today. while walking through the woods along the side of mount royal, i brushed- only brushed, my leg against some foliage. at first i was convinced that i'd actually cut myself, the pain was that sharp. given that sharp objects in the urban woods are not known for their hygienic qualities, it seemed that a tetanus shot was in my future.

but no. it was this bastard, worldwide scourge of uncovered skin. i've never encountered its prickly paws before and let me tell you, i'm going to take care not to again. over five hours later, my leg still feels like it was recently sandpapered.

it seems a bit of an overreaction that i get something that hurts for so long, as i'm fairly certain i left the plant in tact. then again, i guess it's better than having to get a tetanus shot.

4 comments:

Aaron Fenwick said...

Just thank you lucky stars you don't have these these
wonderful plants in your fair land...

Richo said...

The good old stinging nettle! Always useful to then find some dock leaves if you've been caught by one of these vicious plants, I seem to recall.

Also had nettle tea once, but can't remember whether it was enjoyable or not, beyond the satisfaction derived in the payback!

Mommie on a Mission said...

As to your post on my blog, yeah....I remember the overwhelming popularity of "shrinky-dinks." I know, lets have children not only use an oven but bake PLASTIC. See? And we turned out just fine eh???

Michael Begg said...

Nettles remind me of being young!
A boy's knees and shins are somehow incomplete without the telltale white bumps of a nettle rash.

And, better than tea - they make damn fine soup - if you can bear making it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...