02 July 2007

lives lived


i thought it might be worthwhile to post a little further information on the woman responsible for the "cat" video (see earlier post) that so enchanted me.

aside from her fondness for cats, maya deren lived a remarkable life, being a figurehead in the world of experimental film, as well as the observer and documenter of various ritual phenomena, from the world of dance, which fascinated her early on, to her later interest in haitian voudoun. she collaborated with some of the artistic luminaries of her day, such as marcel duchamp and anais nin.

in fact, the woman almost overshadows her work at times, leaving controversy in her wake, even through her untimely death.

enjoy her films at your leisure.

3 comments:

Maximum Overlord said...

I had to sift through the quicksand of memory, but the name was familiar. I believe that I studied her work as part of my brief foray into university studies, most likely in my class on Experimental Film Making. Its highly likely that I saw the movie about the cats, and possibly some others. Its been a while tho, and medication not helping, my memory fails me.

spartacus mills said...

A few more here:
http://www.ubu.com/film/deren.html

pelao said...

my sister always reminds me how lucky i am to share birthday with the visionary lady! hark! obviously, a favourite of mine, taurean surrealism....great to read about her in yer bloggie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...