19 June 2007

i suck at small talk

this is one of these revelations that's been forced on me recently. i was having an engrossing chat with one of my expanding circle of imaginary friends (those people you talk to all the time but have never actually met face to face) when it dawned on me. somehow, and i was never very good at it, i've completely lost the ability to speak to people i don't know in a casual way. (i say people i don't know, because after a certain amount of time, i'm no longer compelled to spend most of my time figuring out how they think.)

it's not that i'm anti-social, i think of myself as a fairly friendly person. but having the conversation about how your week is going, or what kind of job you have is quickly sliding from awkward to painful on my scale of human activity. i'll ask such questions out of politeness, and out of a hope that i can use the information as a conduit to a somewhat more interesting subject. i'll answer the questions myself, usually as briefly as possible, because i feel obliged to, but i always wonder why people would be interested in things about me that don't interest me very much.

in a world that is increasingly reliant on glib exchanges, i'm becoming a sort of leper. perhaps i need to start a support group?

4 comments:

spartacus mills said...

Gosh! The weather's a bit dodgy innit? Anyway,how's you? Having a good week?

flora_mundi said...

ooohhh yes, yesss... now talk to me about sporting events!!

Maximum Overlord said...

To quote Bauhaus:
"Small talk stinks"

pelao said...

great bass line on that song!
what i don´t get is, how do you manage to jump into "big talk" without sounding totally out of place?or plain pretentious?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...