03 December 2006

diet diary, part 6

oh you thought it was over? not so, although october was not a banner month in the battle of the bulge. a combination of vacation and business travel made things a little difficult. but november saw me back on track and saw me taking the first measure of my results. literally. i took my measurements last weekend and was happy to find that i have lost two inches off my chest and hips and three and a half inches off my waist since i first started my diet back in august. another inch across the board and i'll be the same size that i was at fourteen. (i should add that this was not the smallest i have been, but it was the first time i remember measuring myself.

my weight loss has again been getting noticed and i am frequently faced with the question "what are you doing to lose the weight?" the answer, that i'm paying careful attention to calories and portins and i'm not even exercising as much as i should, is greeted with a combination of disbelief and frustration. in a world where people are alienated from the instinct that discerns what is necessary to sustain them, it is assumed that in order to lose a visible amount of weight, i must either be in possession of some magical secret, or that i must be doing something unhealthy.

part of me understands this. i have gone through the frustration f trying to lose weight without understanding the proper method and the time it takes, and have also been left with the sense that those who succeed are in possession of some knowledge that i do not possess. but another part of me wants to point out to these people that it isn't like i burned this off overnight. the weight i've lost has come off gradually over a period of four months (well, three, since i can't really count october). i've consistently been conscious of what i've been eating throughout that time. if that didn't result in weight loss, it would be a sign that i have a medical problem.

the best part of this, as far as i'm concerned, is that the person i see in the mirror is starting to look more like me again. not the me who, for the last few years has been worried about hiding telltale bulges, but the me whose figure i remember feeling good about. the battle continues, but it's easier when you realise you're winning.

2 comments:

Maximum Overlord said...

I think that getting a decent amount of sleep might have something to do with it too. Have you noticed wether you slept more?

flora_mundi said...

good point. while i definitely sleep more than i did when i was at my insomniac worst, i didn't notice if there was any correlation between sleep anad weight loss. it can't hurt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...