09 November 2005

say your prayers every night before bed


Our spaghetti
Who art in the colander
Hallowed be thy sauce
Thy serving come
Thy strands be wrung
On forks as they are on spoons
Give us this day our daily meatball
And forgive us our starchiness
As we forgive those who are starchy against us
And lead us not into Kraft parmessan
But deliver us from Chef Boy Ardee
For thine is the garlic
And the onion and the bay leaves
For ever and ever.
Ramen

thanks to james for that one

**for those of you who are unaware, last night's round of elections dealt a serious blow to the campaign to teach the theories of the flying spaghetti monster's creation of the world in american public schools. voters in pittsburgh defeated their school board, who wanted to force teachers to include the theory of intelligent design as an option equivalent to evolution and replaced them with candidates who do not favour its inclusion in school curriculum.

4 comments:

Platonicus Booknutticus said...

I suppose, given your vehement, sarcastic dismissal of 'intelligent design' (whatever that is, I don't read the news), that you have a counter theory for how the world comes to be? I'm interested to hear.

-best,
nic.

flora_mundi said...

my problem with teaching intelligent design (in a nutshell, the theory that the universe is too complicated to have evolved from a random series of events and shows the hallmarks of the interference of a larger intelligent presence as the designer) being taught as equivalent to the theory of evolution is twofold:

1. it is presented as a scientific equivalent- the science behind it is pretty specious

2. it misses the spiritual point- believing in creationism should not involve the need to prove it as science. having faith in something means that you believe it because you feel it is true without empirical proof.

qed said...

I got that one via some other blog, I didn't write it myself - might want to clear that up. -J.

Maximum Overlord said...

The funny thing is that whenever I hear about "intelligent design" I keep thinking of space aliens, not some godhead...

I guess I just want to believe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...